The Building Standards Service must ensure that buildings comply with the Building (Scotland) Act 2003 which became law on the 1st May 2005.
If an application for building warrant was made prior to this date then the old Building (Scotland) Act 1959, and its procedures, still apply to these applications.
The legislation is concerned with:
- health, safety, welfare and convenience of persons in or about buildings and of others who may be affected by buildings or matters connected with buildings;
- furthering the conservation of fuel and power;
- furthering the achievement of sustainable development;
- the safety of the public from defective or dangerous building.
The main role of the Building Standards service under this legislation is to carry out the following duties:
- process applications for building warrant;
- inspect and witness the testing of new or altered drainage;
- verify completion certificate submissions;
- investigate reports of buildings which may be dangerous;
- investigate reports of unauthorised work being carried out to buildings;
- investigate reports of buildings that may be in a state of serious disrepair.
The service also has a major role in ensuring the health & safety of the general public in West Lothian through its work in the following areas:
- processing applications for "Letters of Comfort";
- inspection of licensed premises on behalf of the Licensing Board;
- inspection and licensing of sports grounds;
- inspection and licensing of raised structures;
- inspection and licensing of places of public entertainment.
If you wish to build or make any alterations to your property you should first check with Building Standards to see if a building warrant is required. This is the legal permission granted by West Lothian Council to allow you to start building work (including demolition) to your property. If the work you intend to carry out requires a building warrant and you start the work before this is obtained then you are breaking the law.
A completion certificate is the legal document allowing a building to be occupied. The completion certificate is accepted by us after we have carried out an inspection to ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, that the works comply with the building regulations.
"Letters of Comfort"
In cases where we are fully satisfied that the completed works comply with the Building Regulations, a "letter of comfort" may be obtained which states that action will not be taken in respect of specified works which have either:
- been completed before the 1st May 2005 without the required building warrant being obtained (Unauthorised), or
- been carried out with a building warrant , but no certificate of completion was obtained before this building warrant expired (Expired), or
- been carried out as exempt works and no permission was required (Exempt), or
- replacement windows were installed for which no building warrant was required (Replacement Window Survey).
Application forms and guidance notes on applying for building warrant, a completion certificate or a ?letter of comfort? can be downloaded from our website.
Telephone - 01506 775222
Fax - 01506 775255
Email - email@example.com
Address - County Buildings, High Street, Linlithgow, EH49 7EZ.
Jim Bruce, Building Standards Manager, Tel: 01506 775205 firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim McGinley, Senior Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775413 email@example.com
Stephen Beveridge, Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775414 firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald Campbell, Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775229 email@example.com
Stuart Currie, Building Standard Officer, Tel: 01506 775227 firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Davidson, Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775417 email@example.com
Ken Donoghue, Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775228 firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Ingram, Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775418 email@example.com
Craig Johnstone, Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775415 firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Rae, Assistant Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775416 email@example.com
Laura Williamson, Assistant Building Standards Officer, Tel: 01506 775226 firstname.lastname@example.org
Judi Ferguson, Building Site Inspector, Tel: 01506 775222 email@example.com
Stephen Swan, Building Site Inspector, Tel: 01506 775222 firstname.lastname@example.org